B.Tech done but want to explore more about your stream? Ambitious to work for the known Public-Sector Companies? Or do you aim to go abroad? Dreams of landing in an IIT can be fulfilled even after qualifying B. Tech courses through GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering). The exam is counted amongst the toughest exam in the country. It is a nationally conducted exam for not just admission to M. Tech programs but also to open opportunities for lucrative opportunities in several public-sector enterprises and research organizations.
GATE aims to test candidate’s comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in engineering and science. IITs are provided with financial assistance by MHRD and other government agencies. Not just limited to top colleges in India, the exposure to education programs in abroad is also offered through GATE 2018.
Gate 2018 Syllabus :
Every year one of the 23 IITs is given the responsibility to conduct the exam. This year, IIT Guwahati is conducting the exam. GATE Syllabus and Pattern have been changed for different streams over the years. There are 23 papers in GATE now offering more opportunities to a large number of candidates.
Why is GATE important? Dilemma faced by many if they are compelled to appear for GATE. Let’s discuss what makes this exam important for all engineering pass outs:
- Tech – Campus placements in National and International private or public companies
- Several reputed PSUs and research organizations recruits on basis of GATE Score. i.e. IOCL, NTPC, BHEL, PGCIL, BARC etc.
- Teaching: Professor, Asst. Professor at IITs, NITs, reputed educational institutes etc.
- Junior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Senior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Junior Research Associates/ Senior Project Associates
- Scientists “C” grade jobs
- Career in Research & Development
- Technical value addition
What are the Changes in GATE 2018?
Every year there are many changes introduced by the conducting body. The changes are made to ease the process of registration and for the convenience of the students. Few important changes made in the GATE Exam this year by IIT Guwahati are mentioned below:
- Changes for International Applicants: GATE examination will be conducted for international candidates in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E). This has been done to broaden the scope of education and information. The transition period for foreign candidates is made as smooth as possible with various scholarships, assistantship, incentives provided to these candidates. The support and finances are backed by the Ministry of Human Resource Development and other such important ministries which form an integral part of educational systems implemented by Government of India.
- Changes in the GATE Syllabus for XE stream: Addition of another section in the Engineering Sciences exam has been done this year. The number of sections have now been increased to eight.
- Addition of new centers: IIT Guwahati has decided to add three new exam centers to the list of exam centers this year. The centers newly added to the list are Burdwan, Dibrugarh and Gorakhpur.
- Changes in the Application process: Candidates can now enter two choices of exam centers. Image of thumb impression has to be uploaded from this year onwards. Application fee for the foreign candidates has been increased to 100$ from 50$.
What are the benefits of clearing GATE 2018?
One feels joyous after clearing an exam with flying colors after months of hard work. Knowing what a good score in an exam like GATE can fetch you will add to the happiness. Here are the benefits of an amazing score in GATE 2018:
Gate 2018 Admission PG programs
Good score equals to dream life at an IIT. Clearing the GATE Exam with good score opens the path to pursue PG Programs at various institutions. Top IIT’s and IIS are offering admissions into PG Programs on the basis of GATE Exam score. Some institutions specify GATE qualification as mandatory for admission into self-financing postgraduate programs. Some management institutes like NITIE, Mumbai offer admission to Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Engineering on the basis of GATE score. Apply separately for your desired college and grab your seat!
PSU Recruitment through GATE
Initially the recruitment process hassled due to large number of applications for less jobs. It was estimated that around 100, 000 students applied for 1000 job opportunities which makes the selection rate equal to 1%. The number of disheartened candidates increased than the qualified ones. So, after sensing the exponential rise in the number of engineering graduates in India who wish to get a PSU job, the PSUs have decided that a GATE score shall be the primary criteria for first shortlist. This change was the primary cause for the rapid increase in applicants for GATE 2012. So, a good score in GATE is just the initial step of the recruitment process. But a good score can make a lot of difference.
Gate 2018 Fellowship Programs
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) introduced the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) – GATE scheme in 2002 to allow GATE-qualified engineering graduates and GPAT-qualified pharmaceutical graduates to pursue research through suitable Ph.D. programs at CSIR laboratories.
Tenure and Stipend
The fellowship amount is INR 25,000 (US$370) per month plus HRA (house rent allowance). In addition, a contingency grant of INR 20,000 (US$300) per annum (calculated on a pro-rata basis for fraction of a year) is also provided. On completion of 2 years as JRF – GATE, the fellowship upgraded to SRF (Senior Research Fellowship) – GATE and stipend increased to INR 28,000 (US$420) per month in the later years, on the basis of assessment of CSIR JRF-NET guidelines.
Scholarships in M.E./ M. Tech and Integrated PhD
To enhance/promote the master education in India the Scholarship/ Assistance ship will be INR 12,400/- per month and paid from MHRD to GATE qualified student. It is financial support for candidates so that they can easily afford their needs during their course and thesis work.
Recommended : Top 5 Effective GMAT Apps (2018) with Preparation Tips
Some colleges let you do an integrated Masters plus doctoral programme, directly after your graduation and you can also get a stipend of INR 28,000.
Some non-Indian universities like the National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University in Singapore and some technical universities in Germany also recognised GATE score as a criterion for judging the candidates for admission into their Masters and Ph.D programs.
If you still have any query regarding GATE 2018 exam or GATE 2018 Syllabus then feel free to comment in the comment section below. Stay connected and stay updated.